This is one of my go to slow cooker recipes which I came up with earlier this year. It’s delicious and very simple to throw together early in the morning. You can add potatoes to it on an EE day or serve it with rice or pasta but this evening, on my second day of EE SP I’m going to have it with Savoy cabbage – very nice indeed!
Lightly Spiced Slow Cooked Gammon
Free on EE and EE SP
– 1 Gammon joint
– soaked in cold water overnight to draw out some salt
– 1 Onion, roughly chopped
– 2 Leeks, cut into thick round
– Red, yellow and green peppers, cut into 1cm pieces
– 1 Carrot, roughly chopped
– 1 stick of celery, roughly chopped
– 2 Garlic Cloves
– 2 heaped teaspoons of garam masala
– Quarter teaspoon of chilli powder
– Half a teaspoon of chilli flakes
– 1 Chicken stock cube
– 1 Vegetable stock cube
– Half a carton of passata
– A tablespoon of tomato puree
– 1 and a half pints of boiling water
– Black pepper
– Tin of cannellini beans
Place gammon in the centre of your slow cooker and then surround with all of the other ingredients but not the cannellini beans just yet. Season well with black pepper. Cook on low for 8-10 hours or high for 4-6 hours, stirring occasionally. Four hours before you are going to serve up the gammon, add the cannellini beans (2 hours before if cooking on high). When your ready to serve up, pull the gammon apart with a couple of forks and then serve with your chosen accompaniment (please see above).
And it really is that simple!