3 garlic cloves, crushed
5cm piece fresh root ginger, grated
1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped (or ½ tsp chilli flakes)
2 onions, diced
1 chicken stock cube
2 tbsp curry powder (add more or less, depending on how hot you like it)
3 tbsp tomato purée
6 skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size chunks
200g spinach leaves
100g fat-free natural Greek yogurt
small handful of fresh coriander, chopped, to serve
1. Put the garlic, ginger, chilli, onion and crumbled stock cube into a large non-stick saucepan over a medium heat. Add a splash of water and stir well. Cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Uncover, increase the heat to high and continue to cook, stirring now and then, until the excess liquid has gone and the onions are golden and syrupy. Add the curry powder to the pan, then stir in the tomato purée and cook for 2-3 minutes.
3. Add the chicken and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring often.
4. Add 150ml water, reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
5. Stir in the spinach and cook very gently for 2-3 minutes or until the spinach has wilted, stirring often.
6. Remove from the heat and leave for 5 minutes before stirring in the yogurt. Scatter the coriander over the curry and serve with rice.