Office work can be detrimental to health, especially when we sit for too long.
Indeed, according to a study published in the American Journal of Epidemiology, a sedentary lifestyle could increase the risk of premature death by 40%, linked to cancer, diabetes, obesity and cardiovascular disease.
However, there is a way to reverse the result and take advantage of your chair at the office to burn some abdominal fat and get rid of those extra pounds.
Here are 6 exercises you can do while sitting in your chair at the office:
1- Raise the knee
– Keep your back straight without touching the back of the chair and your feet on the floor.
– Lift your right knee towards your chest.
– Place your hands under your shin to better stretch your lower abdominal muscles.
– Repeat 20 to 30 times alternating your knees.
This exercise allows you to strengthen abdominal muscles, improve digestion and blood circulation, and burn fat.
2- Raise both knees
– Hold the armrests or edges of the chair with both hands.
– While keeping your back straight, lift your knees towards your chest. Your abdominal muscles should be tight.
– Rest your feet, without touching the ground.
– Repeat 10 to 20 times.
This exercise will allow you to work your abdominal muscles.
3- Raise the knees by tilting the body to one side
– Sit on the edge of the chair and keep your back straight. Hold the back of the chair firmly with both hands.
– Bend your body to the side and only sit on one butt.
– Keep your legs together and lift both knees up to your chest.
– Return to your initial position and repeat the same exercise on the other side.
– Repeat 10 to 20 times on each side.
Thanks to this exercise, you will burn fat on both sides of your belly.
4- Touch the feet
– Keep your feet on the ground.
– Straighten your arms at shoulder level.
– Touch your left foot with your right hand. Stay in this position for a while.
– Return to the starting position. Now touch your right foot with your left hand.
– Repeat 20 to 30 times, alternating sides.
This exercise will allow you to burn fat in the waist and hips.
5- Raise the body above the chair
– In a seated position, firmly hold the armrests of the chair.
– Raise your body above the chair so that your hips and legs are lifted into the air. Use your abdominal muscles to lift your knees up to your chest.
– Stay in this position for at least 15 to 20 seconds, then slowly return to the starting position and take a short break.
– Repeat the exercise 4 times.
With this exercise, you will not only work the abdominal muscles, but also the shoulders, back and arms.
6- Knee to elbow
– In a seated position, keep your back straight without touching the back of the chair. Place your hands behind your head.
– Lift your knee towards your chest. At the same time, bend your left elbow to touch your knee.
– Return to the starting position. Repeat this exercise 15 times.
– Change the knee and the elbow and repeat 15 times doing a series of 4.
This exercise is great for working your oblique and lower abdominal muscles. To do this correctly, make sure your knee touches your opposite elbow. At this point, your upper body should turn slightly.
For these exercises to be done without incident, it is necessary that the chair be without wheels.
Tricks to burn abdominal fat:
– Consume more soluble fiber, it can reduce the number of calories your body is able to absorb.
– Limit your intake of carbohydrates, especially refined carbohydrates. Some studies also suggest that you can significantly improve your metabolic health and reduce your waistline simply by replacing refined carbs with whole, unprocessed carbs.
– A daily 30-minute walk has been shown to effectively reduce total body fat and fat around the abdomen.