Baked on top of tasty veg in a smoky aubergine and tomato sauce, this is a delicious new way to get your squeaky cheese fix!
5½ Syns per serving
Deduct 5.5 Syns if using Halloumi reduced fat/light as a Healthy Extra ‘a’ choice.
- 2 large aubergines
- 500g baby new potatoes
- 1 large red onion, cut into wedges
- 2 large red peppers, deseeded and cut into chunks
- Low-calorie cooking spray
- 8 tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½-1 tsp dried chilli flakes, to taste
- 180g reduced-fat halloumi cheese, cut into 8 slices
- Chopped fresh coriander, to serve
- Preheat your grill to high and line the grill pan with kitchen foil. Prick the aubergines all over with a fork, put them on the grill pan and grill for 15-20 minutes, turning regularly, until blackened and tender. Transfer to a bowl, cover with cling film and leave to cool.
- Meanwhile, preheat your oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas 6.
- Put the new potatoes, onion and peppers in a large non-stick roasting tin and spray with low-calorie cooking spray. Toss well and cook in the oven for 30 minutes or until everything is just tender.
- At the same time, place a non-stick saucepan over a medium heat and add the tomatoes, tomato purée, garlic, cumin, paprika and chilli flakes. Cover and cook for 10 minutes or until softened, stirring occasionally.
- Peel off and discard the aubergine skins, roughly chop the flesh and stir it into the tomato sauce. Stir the sauce through the roasted vegetables, top with the halloumi and cook in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until the cheese is golden and the vegetables are done how you like them (poke the potatoes with a fork to check they’re cooked, as they tend to be the trickiest customers). Scatter over the coriander and serve with salad.