Free, serves 4
- Low-calorie cooking spray
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 250g closed-cup mushrooms, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3 medium onions, cut into bite-size chunks
- 750g topside of beef, visible fat removed, cut into bite-size chunks
- 1 beef stock cube, crumbled
- 1 heaped tsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 tsp Marmite
- 1½ tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 large potato, peeled and cut into bite-size chunks
- 1 small carrot, finely chopped
For the mash
- 1 large potato, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 small swede, peeled and roughly chopped
- 4 large carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C/ fan 160 °C/gas 4.
- Spray a non-stick casserole pan with low-calorie cooking spray and place over a medium heat. Add the celery, mushrooms, garlic and half of the onions and fry for 10 minutes or until slightly caramelised, adding a little water if anything is sticking.
- Meanwhile, spray a non-stick frying pan with low-calorie cooking spray and place over a high heat. Fry the beef in batches until browned all over and set aside.
- Add the stock cube, thyme, tomato purée, Marmite and Worcestershire sauce to the veg in the casserole pan. Remove from the heat, stir in 800ml boiling water and purée using a stick blender (or use a liquidiser and return to the pan). Add the beef, potato chunks, finely chopped carrot and remaining onion and bring to the boil over a high heat. Cover and cook in the oven for 1 hour 15 minutes or until the meat is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile make the mash. Put the potato, swede and carrots in a saucepan of boiling water over a high heat and cook for 45 minutes or until very tender. Drain, mash and season lightly.
- Check the seasoning of the beef and serve hot with the mash.
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/customer/www/bestslimmingworld.com/public_html/wp-content/themes/flex-mag-edit/single.php on line 230