Mamma mia, our marinated Greek-style chicken kebabs are so good. Go on, take a chance on them!
7 Syns per serving
35 minutes plus 4 hours marinating
Deduct 7 Syns if using Pitta Bread wholemeal as a Healthy Extra ‘b’ choice.
- 300g fat-free natural Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp sweet paprika
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 8 large skinless and boneless chicken thighs, visible fat removed
- 2 small red onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 4 tomatoes, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 1 tsp sumac
- ½ medium cucumber, peeled and coarsely grated
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 4 little gem lettuces, shredded
- 4 x 60g wholemeal pitta breads, toasted
- Put 100g yogurt in a large bowl and stir in the lemon juice, 2 tsp vinegar, 4 crushed garlic cloves, the cumin, oregano, paprika, cinnamon, ½ tsp salt and some freshly ground black pepper. Add the chicken, mix to coat well and marinate in the fridge for up to 4 hours.
- Preheat your oven to 220°C/fan 200°C/gas 7.
- Put a rack in a large roasting tin (and line it with foil if you want to save on washing-up). Lift the chicken thighs out of the marinade, lay them on the rack and roast for 20-25 minutes or until the chicken is nicely browned at the edges and cooked through.
- Meanwhile, put the red onions in a small bowl with 1 tbsp vinegar and a pinch of salt and mix well. Set aside for a few minutes, then stir in the tomatoes and sumac and season to taste.
- For the tzatziki, put the grated cucumber in a clean tea towel or a few layers of kitchen paper and squeeze out as much water as you can. Tip the cucumber into a bowl and stir in the remaining vinegar, garlic and yogurt, plus the dill and some seasoning to taste.
- Divide the lettuce between plates and spoon over the tomatoes and onions. Slice the chicken and add that too, plus a big dollop of tzatziki. Serve with the pitta breads and stuff as much into them as you can! This would be great for a packed lunch or picnic, too – just pack the tzatziki and pittas separately.
Credits: slimming world official