free, serves 4
- 400g dried penne pasta (or other short pasta shapes)
For the meatballs:
- 250g lean beef mince
- 250g lean pork mince
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 1 small garlic clove, grated
- ½ tsp dried sage
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Low calorie cooking spray
For the sauce:
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 heaped tsp dried oregano
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh basil
- ½ red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 120g baby plum tomatoes, halved
- 100g baby leaf spinach
- First make the meatballs. Mix together the mince, onion, garlic, sage, paprika and seasoning with your hands. Form the mixture into 24 equal-sized balls.
- Spray a large non-stick frying pan with low calorie cooking spray and place over a high heat. Working in batches, fry the meatballs until browned and set aside (don’t worry if they’re not cooked through at this stage).
- To make the sauce, spray the frying pan with a little more low calorie cooking spray, turn the heat to medium and fry the onion for 10 minutes, adding a little water if it starts to stick.
- Stir in the remaining sauce ingredients (except the tomatoes and spinach), add 350ml of boiling water and bring to a simmer.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to the pack instructions.
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/customer/www/bestslimmingworld.com/public_html/wp-content/themes/flex-mag-edit/single.php on line 230