This hearty plant-based bolognese is deliciously rich and full of flavour
- Low-calorie cooking spray
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 celery stick, diced
- 2 medium red onions, 1 diced and 1 cut into wedges
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 vegetable stock cube, suitable for vegans
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp yeast extract
- 1 medium courgette, diced
- 300g mushrooms, sliced
- 300g dried linguine or spaghetti
- 2 x 400g cans green lentils, drained and rinsed
- 500g cherry tomatoes
- ½ large bag rocket leaves
- Spray a medium non-stick saucepan with low-calorie cooking spray and put it over a medium heat. Add the carrot, celery and diced onion and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the oregano, garlic, tomato purée and some freshly ground black pepper, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Dissolve the stock cube in 3 tbsp boiling water and add to the pan, along with the chopped tomatoes and the yeast extract. Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the onion wedges, courgette and mushrooms and cover again. Bring back to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to the pack instructions.
- Stir the lentils and cherry tomatoes into the vegetables, simmer for 5 minutes and season to taste. Drain the pasta and stir through the vegetables along with the rocket. Cook it all for 2 minutes then serve hot, with a Speed salad.