If we had you at ‘honey-roasted parsnip’, you’re in for a treat when you get to the halloumi croutons! Save 2½ Syns per serving by having the cheese as half of a Healthy Extra ‘a’ choice
4 Syns per serving
To make this in a soupmaker, halve the ingredients to serve 2. If you have time, roast the parsnips as below. Put the parsnips, honey (if not used for the parsnips), onion, garlic, stock and a little seasoning in the soupmaker and cook on the smooth setting. Fry the halloumi as below. Stir the fromage frais into the soup and add the garnishes. This is suitable for freezing before the fromage frais and garnishes are added.
- 1kg parsnips, peeled and cut into small chunks
- Low-calorie cooking spray
- 2 level tbsp clear honey
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1.5 litres hot vegetable stock
- 150g fat-free natural fromage frais
- 90g reduced-fat halloumi cheese, suitable for vegetarians, cut into bite-size chunks
- Chopped fresh parsley, to serve
- Get your oven warmed up to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas 6.
- Cook the parsnips in a saucepan of boiling water over a high heat for 5 minutes. Drain well and give them a little shake. Tip the parsnips into a large non-stick roasting tin, spray with low-calorie cooking spray and drizzle with the honey. Sprinkle over some seasoning, toss well and spread the parsnips out. Roast for 25-30 minutes, turning halfway.
- While the parsnips are roasting, put the onion, garlic and 3 tbsp stock in a large non-stick saucepan over a low heat. Put a lid on the pan and cook for 10 minutes or until the onions are soft and golden.
- Tip the parsnips into the onion pan. Add a splash of stock to the roasting tin and scrape up all the caramelised juices from the base with a spatula. Add the juices to the onion pan with the rest of the stock and bring to the boil. Put the lid back on and simmer for 10 minutes. Blitz the soup until smooth using a stick blender (or use a food processor and return to the pan). Remove from the heat, stir in the fromage frais and check the seasoning.
- Spray a non-stick frying pan with low-calorie cooking spray and put it over a high heat. Add the halloumi and cook for 2-3 minutes or until golden, turning often. Divide the soup between 4 bowls and evenly scatter over the halloumi and parsley to serve.