Smoked Salmon, Fennel & Onion Quiche
1 quantity of shortcrust pastry to line a 8″ flan tin/dish
Filling1tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 small (or half) a head of fennel, finely chopped – reserve fronds for decoration or½tsp ground fennel seeds
1 x 100g pack Smoked Salmon offcuts (available in supermarkets – often in the ‘Value’ range)
150ml single cream (I used Elmlea half-fat)
2ozs/50g strong cheddar cheese
1oz/25g grated Parmesan
Salt & pepper
1. Make the pastry and rest in the fridge. Preheat the oven to 200oC.
2. Line a flan dish with the pastry, prick the base, fill with beans to prevent rising and blind bake for 10-12 minutes. (Pastry should be set but barely coloured.)
3. Break the eggs into a bowl and beat. Lightly brush the inside of the hot flan case with a little of the beaten egg which will help to seal the inside. Mix the cream into the remaining egg.
4. Heat the olive oil and fry the onion gently until translucent (along with chopped fennel or ground fennel seed if using), leaving as little liquid in the pan as possible.
5. Grate both cheeses and mix well together.
6. Put a layer of cooked onion (with fennel if used) in the base of the flan dish. Evenly cover with pieces of smoked salmon. Pour over the egg and cream mixture. Top with mixed cheeses.
7. Turn heat down to 180oC immediately before putting the flan into the oven. This will help to keep the underneath of the crust crisp. Bake for 35-40 minutes.
8. Let the flan settle for 10 minutes before serving with salad or a green vegetable and buttered new potatoes.
Variations including vegetarian:
Quick Cheese and Onion Tart (the original version) – filling: 2 onions fried in olive oil, covered with egg/cream mixture and topped with cheeses and sage leaves to decorate
Other suggestions were: Roquefort & Leeks
Also the (non-vegetarian) classic Quiche Lorraine (smoked bacon in place of salmon).
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/customer/www/bestslimmingworld.com/public_html/wp-content/themes/flex-mag-edit/single.php on line 230