- frying spray
- 1.5 kg Beef shin pieces
- 2 Onions peeled and sliced
- 500 g Shallots peeled
- 4 Cloves of garlic peeled and sliced
- 1 Tbsp Mixed Spice
- 1 Tbsp Dried Oregano
- 2 Bay leaves
- 4 Tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
- 2 x 400g Tins of chopped tomatoes
- Plenty of salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 160C.
- Pat the beef dry with kitchen roll and then fry in a hot pan, in batches in a little of spray, until very deep brown. Don’t overcrowd the pan or move the beef around too much.
- As the beef is browned, scoop it out into a bowl. If the pan is getting a bit sticky, deglaze with a little water in between batches of meat and pour those precious tasty bits of liquid in with the meat.
- When the meat is all browned, fry the sliced onions, shallots, garlic, mixed spice, oregano and bay leaves until the onions are soft.
- Add the meat back into the pan, along with the red wine vinegar, tomatoes and plenty of salt and pepper.
- Put in the oven for 2 hours (or 3 will be even better) until the meat is tender and soft. Check it half way and add a little water if the sauce is drying out..