- Cooking spray
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 sticks celery, cut into 1/2” slices
- 2 large carrots, peeled, halved lengthwise and cut into 1” chunks
- 1 bell pepper, orange or red, seeded and cut into 1/2” pieces
- 1 tsp. cumin, ground
- 3/4 tsp. paprika, smoked
- 1/2 tsp. oregano, dried
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 16-oz. can black beans, drained, or chili beans in tomato sauce
- 1 15.5-oz. can black-eyed peas, drained, rinsed
- 1 14.5-oz. can tomatoes, undrained, diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, leaves, chopped, fresh
- wedges lime, to serve
- Spray a Dutch oven with cooking spray* and place over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, celery, carrots and bell pepper and a pinch of salt. Cover and cook, stirring often, for 5–6 minutes, until crisp-tender.
- Add the cumin, smoked paprika, oregano, cayenne and ½ teaspoon each salt and black pepper and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds.
- Stir in the black beans and their sauce, the black-eyed peas, the tomatoes and their juices and 1/4 cup water and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 15–20 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender and the flavors have blended.
- Remove from the heat and sprinkle with cilantro. Serve hot with lime wedges and freshly cooked rice or quinoa.
Fill up on Free Food®
All our meals are based on Slimming World Free Food – nutritious, everyday foods that fill you up for fewer calories, meaning they’re great for weight loss! Free Food includes lean meat, poultry, fish, eggs, pasta, rice, potatoes, pulses, fruit, veg and more. And you can eat these foods freely, making them perfect for satisfying the biggest of appetites. Some Free Foods have the extra bonus of being Speed Food – fruit and veg that are super-low in calories and keep you slimming beautifully. For the best results, always reach for Speed Food first in between meals and include at least a third of a plate of Speed Food at every meal, where it makes sense.
Add in Healthy Extras®
To help provide a good balance of nutrients, enjoy two measured portions of milk or cheese each day – your Healthy Extra ‘a’ choices. Options include 350ml skimmed milk or 250ml semi-skimmed milk; 40g reduced-fat or 30g full-fat hard cheese; 50g mozzarella (cow’s milk); 45g feta or 35g Danish blue, which can be eaten as part of a meal or snack. Also have one portion of wholemeal bread or breakfast cereal each day – your Healthy Extra ‘b’ choice. To keep things simple we’ve built your Healthy Extra ‘b’ choice into the menu plan each day.
Choose your Syns®
Foods and drinks that pose a risk to your weight loss – those high in fat or sugar, as well as alcohol – can be enjoyed as carefully counted Syns. We recommend you plan between 5 and 15 Syns into your day (see the bottom of the next page for some ideas).
Make simple swaps
To help protect your weight loss, choose the leanest meats and trim off any visible fat – cut the white bits off bacon and remove skin from poultry. Dry-fry or cook with low-calorie cooking spray rather than fat or oil, switch sugar for sweetener, and swap cream and crème fraîche for fat-free natural yogurt or plain quark.
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/customer/www/bestslimmingworld.com/public_html/wp-content/themes/flex-mag-edit/single.php on line 230