- Serves: 4
- Prep time: 25 minutes
- Cook time: 1½ hours
- Ready in: Over 60 Minutes
- Suitable for vegetarians
- * Freezer friendly
- Syns per serving:
- 600g potatoes (Desirée or Maris Piper), peeled and roughly chopped
- 200g carrots, peeled and finely diced
- 100g green beans, trimmed and finely diced
- Low calorie cooking spray
- 3 large onions, peeled and finely diced
- 3 large eggs
- 4 tsp dried parsley
- 200g fat free cottage cheese with onions and chives
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 120g Cheddar cheese, grated
- Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, to garnish
- Place the potatoes in a large saucepan with enough cold water to cover well. Bring to the boil, then lower the heat and simmer gently until tender when pierced with a skewer, about 20-25 minutes.
- Meanwhile boil the carrots and green beans in a large saucepan of lightly salted boiling water for 3-4 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Spray a large non-stick frying pan with low calorie cooking spray and place over a medium-high heat. Add the onions and stir-fry for 10-12 minutes or until softened.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°F/Gas 6. Spray a medium-sized pie dish with low calorie cooking spray.
- Drain the potatoes and mash until smooth, using a potato ricer if you have one.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, dried parsley and cottage cheese. Add to the potatoes, stir to mix well and season to taste. Add the reserved vegetables and onion mixture to the potatoes and stir well again.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared dish and spread evenly. Sprinkle over the cheese and bake for about 35-45 minutes until golden. Sprinkle with the chopped parsley and serve immediately.
Tip: Make this into four individual pies and reduce the cooking time by 10 minutes.
Fill up on Free Food®
All our meals are based on Slimming World Free Food – nutritious, everyday foods that fill you up for fewer calories, meaning they’re great for weight loss! Free Food includes lean meat, poultry, fish, eggs, pasta, rice, potatoes, pulses, fruit, veg and more. And you can eat these foods freely, making them perfect for satisfying the biggest of appetites. Some Free Foods have the extra bonus of being Speed Food – fruit and veg that are super-low in calories and keep you slimming beautifully. For the best results, always reach for Speed Food first in between meals and include at least a third of a plate of Speed Food at every meal, where it makes sense.
Add in Healthy Extras®
To help provide a good balance of nutrients, enjoy two measured portions of milk or cheese each day – your Healthy Extra ‘a’ choices. Options include 350ml skimmed milk or 250ml semi-skimmed milk; 40g reduced-fat or 30g full-fat hard cheese; 50g mozzarella (cow’s milk); 45g feta or 35g Danish blue, which can be eaten as part of a meal or snack. Also have one portion of wholemeal bread or breakfast cereal each day – your Healthy Extra ‘b’ choice. To keep things simple we’ve built your Healthy Extra ‘b’ choice into the menu plan each day.
Choose your Syns®
Foods and drinks that pose a risk to your weight loss – those high in fat or sugar, as well as alcohol – can be enjoyed as carefully counted Syns. We recommend you plan between 5 and 15 Syns into your day (see the bottom of the next page for some ideas).
Make simple swaps
To help protect your weight loss, choose the leanest meats and trim off any visible fat – cut the white bits off bacon and remove skin from poultry. Dry-fry or cook with low-calorie cooking spray rather than fat or oil, switch sugar for sweetener, and swap cream and crème fraîche for fat-free natural yogurt or plain quark.