- For The Cakes:
- 2 x 400g cans chickpeas, drained
- 1tsp ground cumin
- 4 slices wholemeal bread, made into breadcrumbs
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 8tbsp of finely chopped coriander
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 4 spring onions, finely chopped
- Low calorie cooking spray
- Salad leaves
- For The Dip:
- 150g fat free natural yogurt
- 4-5tbsp very finely chopped mint
- A pinch each of ground cumin and ground cinnamon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- First make the dip by mixing all the dip ingredients together in a bowl. Season well, cover and chill until needed.
- Place the chickpeas, cumin, breadcrumbs, egg, coriander, red chilli and spring onions in a food processor and blend until fairly smooth. Transfer to a mixing bowl and season well.
- Spray a large non-stick frying pan with low calorie cooking spray and place over a medium-high heat. Working in batches, drop large tablespoons of the batter onto the pan (spacing them apart) and lightly press down to form a ‘cake’ or ‘patty’ shape.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side or until lightly browned and cooked through. Repeat with the remaining chickpea mixture.
- Serve the chickpea cakes with the yogurt dip and salad leaves.