1 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion , finely diced
4 celery sticks , finely diced
3 carrots , peeled and cubed
1 large potato , peeled and cubed
150 g | 1 cup cubed butternut squash
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dried thyme or Italian seasoning
1.4 litres | 6 cups hot chicken stock (broth)
900 g | 2 lbs chicken tenders (mini chicken breasts)
3-4 tbsp tomato paste
1 zucchini (courgette), cubed
150 g | scant 1 cup sweet corn (from a small tin, drained)
150 g | 1/2 cup fregola or risoni pasta
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp parsley , chopped, plus extra to serve
Salt and pepper to season
A little graded Parmesan to serve (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large pot.
- Add the onion, celery, carrots, potato and squash, stir in the salt and herbs and sauté over medium-low heat for 5 minutes.
- Pour in the stock and bring to a low simmer.
- Add the chicken and stir in the tomato paste.
- Simmer for 15 minutes over medium-low heat.
- Stir in the zucchini (courgette), corn, pasta and lemon juice and cook for 10-13 minutes, or until pasta is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Take the soup off the heat and remove the chicken using tongs.
- Shred the chicken using two forks and return to the pot.
- Stir in the parsley. Taste the soup and season with pepper and salt, if needed.
- Serve the soup with lemon wedges on the side, sprinkled with a little grated Parmesan if you like.