- 2 tsp Cajun seasoning
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 450 g | 1 pound skinless chicken breasts or skinless chicken thighs
- 3 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 onion , diced
- 400 g | 14oz tinned chopped tomatoes (canned chopped / crushed tomatoes) in their juice
- 200 g | 7oz butternut squash cut into small cubes
- 225 g | ½ pound dried penne pasta or similar pasta shapes
- 620 ml | 2 ½ cups chicken stock (broth) using a stock cube or canned
- 3 tbsp quark cheese for Slimming World version or cream cheese / heavy cream
- 3 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese (Healthy Extra) plus extra to serve
- Small bunch fresh basil , chopped
- Salt and pepper to season to taste
- Cut the chicken into bite-sized cubes and put in a bowl. Add the Cajun seasoning, garlic granules and salt and mix together.
- Spray a large non-stick lidded pan with low calorie cooking spray. Add the chicken and pan fry over medium-high heat until lightly coloured. The chicken doesn’t have to be cooked all the way through at this point.
- Add the minced garlic and onions to the pan and sauté for a couple of minutes.
- Add the butternut squash and chopped tomatoes, stirring to combine.
- Pour in the chicken stock and bring to a simmer.
- Add the pasta and partially cover the pan, bringing to a boil.
- Set a timer for 12 minutes (or however long your pasta needs to cook) and continue to cook, stirring every couple of minutes. Cook until the pasta is cooked and liquid is slightly reduced. Check the squash is cooked through as well.
- Lower the heat and stir in the quark cheese.
- Add the grated parmesan and basil and stir to combine.
- Check the seasoning and add salt (if needed) and freshly ground pepper and serve.