makes 16 squares
2½ Syns each
ready in 50 mins
What you need:
For the sponge:
low-calorie cooking spray
4 eggs, separated
4 level tbsp sweetener
1 tsp vanilla extract
150g self-raising flour
1 level tsp baking powder
For the topping:
100g extra-light plain soft cheese
100g plain quark
2 level tbsp icing sugar, sifted
a few drops of vanilla extract
2 level tsp sprinkles
What you do:
1. Preheat your oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4. Spray a 22 x 22cm cake tin with low-calorie cooking spray and line with greaseproof paper.
2. Put the egg yolks, sweetener and vanilla extract in a large bowl. Using an electric whisk, beat for 5 minutes until pale and slightly thickened.
3. In a clean bowl, whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form. Gently fold into the egg yolk mixture. Sift the flour and baking powder into the bowl and gently fold into the eggs.
4. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden and firm. Cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then turn out and leave to cool completely.
5. Make the topping. Put the soft cheese, quark, icing sugar and vanilla extract into a bowl and stir well. Whisk briefly to give a smooth consistency (take care not to over-beat or the mixture will be too loose), then spread evenly over the cake. Chill for 10 minutes, then scatter over the sprinkles. Cut into 16 squares to serve.
You should store your finished school cake in the fridge, where it will keep for up to three days.
Top tip: If you fancy a dollop of custard with your school cake, choose a low-fat version. Slimming World members can check the Syn value of their favourite brand using the barcode scanner or online food search tool.
Fill up on Free Food®
All our meals are based on Slimming World Free Food – nutritious, everyday foods that fill you up for fewer calories, meaning they’re great for weight loss! Free Food includes lean meat, poultry, fish, eggs, pasta, rice, potatoes, pulses, fruit, veg and more. And you can eat these foods freely, making them perfect for satisfying the biggest of appetites. Some Free Foods have the extra bonus of being Speed Food – fruit and veg that are super-low in calories and keep you slimming beautifully. For the best results, always reach for Speed Food first in between meals and include at least a third of a plate of Speed Food at every meal, where it makes sense.
Add in Healthy Extras®
To help provide a good balance of nutrients, enjoy two measured portions of milk or cheese each day – your Healthy Extra ‘a’ choices. Options include 350ml skimmed milk or 250ml semi-skimmed milk; 40g reduced-fat or 30g full-fat hard cheese; 50g mozzarella (cow’s milk); 45g feta or 35g Danish blue, which can be eaten as part of a meal or snack. Also have one portion of wholemeal bread or breakfast cereal each day – your Healthy Extra ‘b’ choice. To keep things simple we’ve built your Healthy Extra ‘b’ choice into the menu plan each day.
Choose your Syns®
Foods and drinks that pose a risk to your weight loss – those high in fat or sugar, as well as alcohol – can be enjoyed as carefully counted Syns. We recommend you plan between 5 and 15 Syns into your day (see the bottom of the next page for some ideas).
Make simple swaps
To help protect your weight loss, choose the leanest meats and trim off any visible fat – cut the white bits off bacon and remove skin from poultry. Dry-fry or cook with low-calorie cooking spray rather than fat or oil, switch sugar for sweetener, and swap cream and crème fraîche for fat-free natural yogurt or plain quark.
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/customer/www/bestslimmingworld.com/public_html/wp-content/themes/flex-mag-edit/single.php on line 230