- Cooking spray*
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large clove garlic , minced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into strips, strips cut in half
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and cut into strips, strips cut in half
- 2 large celery sticks , with some leaves, thinly sliced
- 2 cups chicken broth, boiling
- 1/4 lb. ham, cut into 1/2″ chunks
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. thyme, dried
- 1/8-1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 cup long-grain rice, dried
- 1 14 1/2-oz. can tomatoes, drained, diced
- 1/2 lb. large shrimp, cooked, peeled and halved lengthwise
- 4 scallions, sliced
- 2 Tbsp. parsley, fresh , chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Spray a Dutch oven with cooking spray* and place over medium heat.
- Add the onion, garlic and a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring often, for about 5 minutes, until starting to get tender.
- Stir in the bell peppers, celery and 1 tablespoon of the broth. Cover and cook, stirring a couple of times, for about 5 minutes, until the vegetables are tender. Stir in the ham, then the paprika, thyme, cayenne and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, for about 30 seconds.
- Stir in the rice, drained tomatoes and the remaining broth, increase the heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Cover and place in the oven. Bake for 30-35 minutes, stirring with a fork halfway through, until the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is tender.
- Remove from the oven. With a fork, stir in the shrimp, cover and let stand for 5 minutes to heat through. Sprinkle with the scallions and parsley and serve immediately.
Fill up on Free Food®
All our meals are based on Slimming World Free Food – nutritious, everyday foods that fill you up for fewer calories, meaning they’re great for weight loss! Free Food includes lean meat, poultry, fish, eggs, pasta, rice, potatoes, pulses, fruit, veg and more. And you can eat these foods freely, making them perfect for satisfying the biggest of appetites. Some Free Foods have the extra bonus of being Speed Food – fruit and veg that are super-low in calories and keep you slimming beautifully. For the best results, always reach for Speed Food first in between meals and include at least a third of a plate of Speed Food at every meal, where it makes sense.
Add in Healthy Extras®
To help provide a good balance of nutrients, enjoy two measured portions of milk or cheese each day – your Healthy Extra ‘a’ choices. Options include 350ml skimmed milk or 250ml semi-skimmed milk; 40g reduced-fat or 30g full-fat hard cheese; 50g mozzarella (cow’s milk); 45g feta or 35g Danish blue, which can be eaten as part of a meal or snack. Also have one portion of wholemeal bread or breakfast cereal each day – your Healthy Extra ‘b’ choice. To keep things simple we’ve built your Healthy Extra ‘b’ choice into the menu plan each day.
Choose your Syns®
Foods and drinks that pose a risk to your weight loss – those high in fat or sugar, as well as alcohol – can be enjoyed as carefully counted Syns. We recommend you plan between 5 and 15 Syns into your day (see the bottom of the next page for some ideas).
Make simple swaps
To help protect your weight loss, choose the leanest meats and trim off any visible fat – cut the white bits off bacon and remove skin from poultry. Dry-fry or cook with low-calorie cooking spray rather than fat or oil, switch sugar for sweetener, and swap cream and crème fraîche for fat-free natural yogurt or plain quark.
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/customer/www/bestslimmingworld.com/public_html/wp-content/themes/flex-mag-edit/single.php on line 230