- Low-calorie cooking spray
- 800g lean turkey mince (5% fat or less)
- 2tsp dried thyme
- 1tsp dried chilli flakes
- A small handful chopped fresh parsley, to garnish
- Vegetables or rice, to serve
For The Creole Sauce
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 6 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 3 peppers (a mix of red, yellow and orange), deseeded and roughly chopped
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- A pinch of sweetener
- 1 bay leaf
- 1tbsp Cajun seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/Fan 160°C/Gas 4.
- First, put all the sauce ingredients in a saucepan and bring to the boil over a high heat. Reduce the heat to low, season to taste and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, spray a large ovenproof dish with low-calorie cooking spray.
- Put the turkey, thyme and chilli in a large mixing bowl and season to taste.
- Using your fingers, mix well and roll into walnut-sized meatballs. Arrange the meatballs in a single layer in the ovenproof dish. Spray with low-calorie cooking spray and cook in the oven for 10-12 minutes.
- Pour the tomato sauce over the meatballs to cover them evenly, then return the meatballs to the oven and cook for 15-20 minutes or until the meatballs are cooked through.
- Scatter over the parsley and serve hot with vegetables or rice.